|Austrian 100 Schilling Coins
|1975 50th Anniversary of the Schilling Obverse design by Helmut Zobl.
1976 200th Anniversary Burgtheater
Due to bad acoustics the auditorium was remodeled in 1897. Most of the building was destroyed by
bombing during the second World War (1945) and then a fire a month later. After the war, the
Burgtheater company temporarily moved to the Varieté Ronacher. The Burgtheater was rebuilt
during 1953–1955. The ceiling is lined with frescoes, and a statue of Apollo stands guard at the
main entrance on the Ringstrasse. The interior is very opulent, decorated in rich red, cream, and
gold with marble floors and paintings of great actors on the walls. The obverse of the coins was
designed by FritzTiefenthaler.
1976 1000th Anniversary of Carinthia Obverse design by W Pfeiler.
1976 175th Anniversary of Johann Nestroy (1801–1862). Design by Wolfgang Pichl.
1977 1200th Anniversary Kremsmunster Monastery Obverse design by Kurt Bodlak.
1977 900th Anniversary Hohensalzburg Fortress Obverse design by Wolfgang Pichl.
1977 500th Anniversary Hall Mint Obverse and Reverse design by Alfred Zieler.
1978 700th Anniversary Gmunden This obverse design my be by Josef Kaiser. (not sure)
Medals & Tokens
Under the Holy Roman Empire, the territories that constitute modern Austria were a complex
feudal patchwork under the sway of numerous secular and ecclesiastical lords. Most of the
territories originally fell within the boundaries of the Duchy of Bavaria. Over the years, various
territories were effectively detached from Bavaria, either becoming part of the newly established
duchies of Carinthia (976) and Styria (1180) or, like Salzburg and Tirol, falling under the
jurisdiction of powerful bishops.
Issued to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Schilling. The first use
of the Schilling denomination by Austria occurred in 1924. Its
production ceased during German occupation, 1938-1945, but was
resumed in 1946. The last year of production of the Austrian Schilling
was 2001. In 2002 the Schilling was replaced by Euro coins and paper
In 1741 Empress Maria Theresa of Austria gave permission to convert a
ballroom of the Imperial palace into a theatre. This theater opened in
1748. In 1776 Emperor Joseph II declared the theatre the "Nationaltheater
nächst der Burg". Thus, 1776 is generally considered the date of the
foundation of the Burgtheater. The old theatre closed in 1888 and moved
to the new building (Kaiserlich-königliches Hofburgtheater) which was
designed by the architects Gottfried Semper and Carl von Hasenauer.
Johann Nepomuk Eduard Ambrosius Nestroy was a famous Austrian actor,
dramatist and playwright of the nineteenth century. He was born in Vienna on
barrister. He is often called the Austrian Shakespeare. He was a successful
performer in comedies and operettas, and later proved himself a brilliant writer
of farces and satires. He wrote over 60 plays and his critical wit and flouting of
Viennese censure kept him in constant conflict with authorities and he was
imprisoned more than once
The obverse depicts a Silver chalice with religious symbols. The Benedictine monastery in
Kremsmunster was founded by Tassilo III, Duke of Bavaria in 777. It is one of the earliest
Austrian monasteries and, according to legend, stands on the site where Tassilo's son, Gunther,
was killed in a hunting accident. The 13th century building was remodeled in the Baroque style
Hohensalzburg Fortress was built in 1077 by Archbishop Gebhard and considerably enlarged by
Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach (1495-1519). The Hohensalzburg Fortress is the largest
fully-preserved fortress in central Europe. The more than 900-year-old citadel dates back to the
investiture controversy between emperor and pope over the right to appoint the bishop.
Minting in Hall, a city in the Austrian State of Tyrol, began in 1477 and was later
the site of important innovations with the coining of talers deserving special
mention. Hall was the location of a mint from 1477 until it's close in 1806. In
modern times the Mint in Hall again struck coins (100 Schilling denominations),
in celebration of the Olympic Games held in Innsbruck in 1976. The Hall Mint is
now a museum with many exhibits of old coining machinery and historic coins.
Tours are available and visitors can mint a medal for themselves by "hammer"
minting or by using a screw press.
The town of Gmunden is know for its castles and ceramincs. It was established in 908 and received
a town charter in 1278. Gmunden was a former administration center for both the Habsburg
monarchy and the salt trade. The town, lying on the northern shore of Traunsee is known not only
for it's history, romantic setting and ceramics, but also for it's traditional cures (salt-water baths).